Year 6, the final class of your primary school journey!! In year 6 it’s not all about SAT’s and tests, it’s also about creating strong resilient individuals that can make the transition from primary to secondary school. We start the year with Grafham Water, a superb way to gel together as a class, work on team building and problem solving skills and face challenges and obstacles together.
From here we build upon this and find leaders for school roles and work on independence and responsibility.
We hope you enjoy this page and the journey we are all about to embark on....hold onto your broomsticks!!! 🧙🏻♀️
• Be positive about homework and tell your child how important it is.
The attitude you express about homework will be the attitude your child acquires.
• The best time for children to do their homework is soon after they arrive home. A short break and snack is recommended first.
• Provide a reasonably quiet and suitable place where your child can work.
Make sure that paper, pencils and a dictionary are available and appropriate.
• When your child asks for help, provide guidance, not answers. Giving answers means your child will not learn the material.
• Learning spellings and times tables will help your child to improve their writing and to be more efficient when doing their maths work.
Daily practice is best – little and often.
• Homework is always based on work previously done in the class and so should be able to be done independently. Your child may need support with the initial instructions and a little prompt to get started, but if they really don’t understand your child needs to ask their teacher to explain it again.
• It is important that homework is handed in on time.
Your child might have to spend some of their Golden Time completing any unfinished homework.
• Keep homework clean, presentable and completed to a good standard.
• Thank you for supporting the school by supporting your child.
YEAR 6 REVISION RESOURCES
SATS PRACTICE PAPERS - Reading
Reading Test Non Fiction
Reading Test - Poetry
MATHS Problem Solving - Negative numbers,Rounding & Place Value 🧐
Today the children were tasked with working out math problems to complete a specific shape. The task was quite challenging as the children had to ensure that all three sides of their triangle matched the next triangle perfectly. Otherwise the shape would be incorrect. Then they had to crack a code using maths word problems to find a specific word.
CYBER TALK 💻🖥📱❗️
Today the children were lucky to have a member of the Essex Cyber team come in and talk to them about online safety. Online games were discussed and how they can stay safe. What to do and who to talk to when worried was discussed and online ways of reporting problems. Cyber bullying was discussed with the children and again they were informed on what to do and how to handle aspects of this.
It was a very informative talk and the children had many questions answered.